San Cristóbal de La Habana

the village of the holy spirit, havana cathedral, old havana, plaza de la catedral

Havana Cathedral, located in the center of Old Havana, is one of Cuba’s architectural treasures. (Photo taken from http://www.reseskaparna.se)

La Habana was founded twice. The first time in 1515, somewhere to the south of its current location. Some years later, in 1519, after having been named as capital city of colonial Cuba the year before, it was definitely settled to the north of the island. On November 16th, 1519, the village was officially founded as San Cristóbal de La Habana.