The original foundation site is located six kilometers away from the present city of Sancti Spiritus
Sancti Spiritus is the only one of the first seven villages founded in Cuba by Spaniards in which it has been possible to establish the exact place of its foundation back in 1514.
The archeological and historical investigations carried out on the location known as Pueblo Viejo —six kilometers away from the present city of Sancti Spiritus, in central Cuba— give certainty of its condition as the foundation place of the village.
The site has an exceptional historical-archaeological value because of the many evidences of Hispanic and aboriginal culture found there, which demonstrates that the location was a site of contact and transculturation of the first half of the century XVI.
On June 3, 2014, on the eve of the 500th anniversary of the town, an obelisk was unveiled at the place that marks the founding site of the Village of the Holy Spirit.